As the numbers continue to dwindle for top ATP players attending Monte Carlo, the only non mandatory Masters 1000 event, organisers must be hoping Roger Federer will appear out of nowhere like he did last year and that Nadal’s knees survive the test. No wonder Andy Murray managed to get a wildcard with such late notice.
The latest top ranked player to succumb to injury is Frenchman Gael Monfils. Monfils joins a growing list of injured players, with Gael struggling with a persistent left hand injury.
Also missing from the event are:
- Roger Federer (break in schedule)
- Andy Roddick (break in schedule)
- Nikolay Davydenko (broken wrist)
- Robin Soderling (knee)
- Juan Martin del Potro (wrist tendinitis)
- Gilles Simon (recurrent knee injury)
- Gael Monfils (hand)