Rafael Nadal has been comfortably beaten in three sets by Steve Darcis who is ranked 135 in the world on the first day of play at Wimbledon as his knee issues reared their ugly head against an inspired opponent. Darcis won 7-6, 7-6,
It was a horrible day at the office for Rafael. Last year he struggled with a knee injury few knew he was carrying. When Rosol beat Nadal in the second round over five sets people were shocked but today Rafa looked a shadow of the player who had been beaten in the Rosol match. It is the first time in his career that Rafa has ever been beaten in the first round of a Grand Slam. Read more
The last ditch fight by Belgian pair Olivier Rochus and Steve Darcis was strong but the doubles pairing of best friends Feliciano Lopez and Fernando Verdasco ultimately proved too strong. The Spanish duos 7-6, 6-4, 6-3 win gave Spain an unbeatable 3-0 lead and a position in the quarterfinals where they will play the winner of USA V Chile. Read more
It has been announced today by Tennis Australia that the 2011 Hopman Cup will host a star studded line up in the quest for national pride (and a diamond tennis ball). While this years champions Tommy Robredo and Maria Jose Martinez Sanchez have not announced if they will attempt to defend their win, it has been announced that Serena Williams will partner John Isner. Read more
Posted in Ana Ivanovic, Gael Monfils, Hopman Cup, John Isner, Lleyton Hewitt, Nicolas Mahut, Novak Djokovic, Serena Williams, Steve Darcis, Tommy Robredo, Wimbledon
- Peter Luczak has defeated Tsung-Hua Yang 6-3, 6-3 in the first dead rubber of Australia’s meet with Chinese Taipei. The win puts the Australian’s up 4-0. Lleyton Hewitt has also told John Fitzgerald that his rehab is coming along better than expected and that he hopes to make himself available for the next tie in May, presumably against Japan.
- The Czech Republic have also dominated proceedings defeating Belgium 3-0 by pairing Radek Stepanek and Tomas Berdych against Olivier Rochus and Steve Darcis.
- Doubles experts Leander Paes and Mahesh Bhupathi have kept India alive in their meet with Russia by winning the doubles against Igor Kunitsyn and Teimuraz Gabashvili
- Japan has defeated the Philippines 3-0 as have Kazakhstan against Korea.
- The People’s Republic of China are leading 2-1 against Uzbehistan.